Attorneys practicing family law will represent clients in a court of law and related negotiations. You may specialize in the complete portfolio or specific areas, including adoption, emancipation, paternity, or other matters related to divorce. Family law practice is different from other areas of law, and so is the type of marketing involved.
People who need a criminal defense, personal injury, or other lawyers are highly likely to consult their family, friends, or colleagues for references. However, people thinking of a divorce or child custody are least likely to follow this path to find a specialized attorney.
They are most likely to keep their search for family law information and attorneys more discreet. They will search for a lot of relevant information online before looking for the best lawyers near them. It is a big way in which divorce and family law marketing is different from marketing for other types of legal practices.
In this guide, JustLegal Marketing would like to share information on the key strategies that can help you build a stronger brand and attract more clients with specialized marketing strategies.
Before you learn about the best family law and divorce lawyer marketing strategies, it is important to know why people may need your services.
Why People Need Family Law Attorneys?
As a family law attorney or firm, you will mostly represent clients in divorce proceedings and other matters related to divorce. Family law is a broad practice area and includes issues related to reproductive rights and foster care. So, when thinking of a marketing strategy such as SEO for family law, you have to consider what specific practice areas you want to promote.
The most common reasons people hire the services of a family law attorney include:
- Divorce: When someone decides to file for a divorce, they will hire their attorney to help them create their settlement plan and avoid a trial. People expect their attorneys to assist them with the division of marital property, proposing a child custody plan, calculating spousal support, visitation, and more.
- Child Custody: Larger divorce cases also cover court orders and settlement agreements related to child custody and support. They may also require a revisit over time. For example, clients may require your services related to child support when their financial situation changes.
- Paternity: Typically, paternity cases are filed by mothers to secure child support from an absent father. However, fathers also file for paternity to maintain a relationship with their children. The process will usually require DNA testing.
- Foster Care or Adoption: Many factors affect the adoption process. These factors include adoption type, the child’s location, and state laws. You will need the services of a family law attorney to navigate the regulations. Foster parents may at times need legal representation when adopting their foster children.
Now that you know the most common reasons your potential clients are searching for your services, it is important to define your target audience.
Defining Your Target Audience
Before developing a marketing strategy for your legal practice, it is important to define your target audience. It is also important to define why they should hire your services.
So, how do you define your target audience? It will be required to find answers to the following questions:
- What is their location?
- Are they men or women?
- What is their profession?
- What is their income?
- What type of legal services do they need?
- What are they most concerned about and their questions related to?
- Keeping costs down
- Keeping custody of their children
- An efficient process
- What are their goals, and what do they expect from the outcome?
- What do they fear about their case?
- What are the factors for making their hiring decision?
- How long will the results take?
- The attorney’s personality
Once you have found answers to these questions, you will clearly understand your target audience. It will take you closer to creating a successful divorce lawyer marketing strategy.
Identifying Your Unique Value Proposition
The next step in building a successful divorce lawyer marketing plan is to define your unique value propositions. It is important because driving thousands of visitors to your website doesn’t matter a lot if you cannot tell them why your practice is the best for their case.
The answers to the following questions should help you define your unique value propositions:
- What is your story?
- What is your inspiration or reason for practicing family law?
- Why are you passionate about representing your clients?
- What are your key strengths as a specialized legal practitioner?
- Create a list of the most successful case results you have been able to achieve.
Once you have defined your target audience and unique value propositions, it becomes easier to develop your family and divorce lawyer marketing strategy.
Unique Marketing Factors for Family Law Attorneys
Some of the most important marketing factors you should consider for your practice’s success are as follows:
Reach People When They Search for Information
You will have to reach your target audience when and where they are searching for information. All your prospects are likely to go through the research phase. When they search for your practice, you should provide them with useful information and let them know about your practice and availability.
Your practice should cater to your audience at all the different stages of the sales funnel. The reason is they are not always seeking to call. They may be in the research process.
Highlight Your Culture & Personality
Your marketing strategy must highlight your personality as a professional and your culture as a firm. There should be consistency in your voice across all the content types – text, social media messages, videos, infographics, and more.
Google My Business Listing
Your Google My Business (GMB) listing helps in verifying your profile with Google search results. Your audience will get key information related to the location of your offices, business hours, social media accounts, reviews, and more. Finding reliable information is important for clients looking for a family law attorney because they want a greater level of privacy. As already mentioned, divorce and related topics are sensitive subjects for people. So, people seek a law firm that is easy to access and reliable but not conspicuous.
Social Media Presence
Maintaining an active social media presence is important for any Family Law Marketing effort. As already mentioned, family law touches on matters of sensitive nature. Social media provides a more discreet place for people to seek information about attorneys and their practices. Your social media channels must be an extension of your own personality and your firm’s culture. Give them more than one reasons to trust your subject matter authority and your promise of privacy.
Use your social media accounts to share information about:
- Your stories
- Successful cases
- Informative posts
Providing people with relevant and useful information is an excellent way to build relationships.
Social networks are known as ‘networks’ for a reason. They have an effect that allows you to reach beyond your network for friends and followers.
Online reviews have an important role to play in all types of legal practices. However, their significance is even greater in family law practice. Interestingly, getting reviews in this practice can be more challenging. As mentioned above, people seek greater privacy in this case. Besides, the emotions are also high. A successful SEO family law marketing strategy should include a review strategy that drives positive reviews and manages bad reviews.
The right online reviews strategy can build your firm’s credibility. It will also set your prospects’ expectations on the types of services they can expect from you.
Create a system that requests your clients to leave a review. According to surveys, most people seeking a legal service claim that online reviews had a vital role in their decision-making. Reviews are an important search engine ranking factor. They can help boost your visibility besides building a stronger reputation. Besides, reviews make quality content on social media. You can also re-publish reviews from search engines and other platforms on your website.
Articles & Blogs
Content marketing is an important aspect of Family Law Marketing. Creating and publishing articles and blogs that answer your target audiences’ questions can be quite helpful. When done right, blogging can do wonders for your online presence and brand development. Your content marketing efforts should be built on a well-planned strategy.
Studies show that video marketing can help law firms boost their organic traffic by several times their current traffic inflow. The chances of ranking on the first page of Google increase manifold times. Video is the most consumed form of content today, and you should include it in your Family Law Marketing strategy. There are many reasons why it is such a powerful promotional content form. Video can improve user experience, increase your leads, and build trust.
Some of the common ideas for your video marketing content include:
- Attorney introductions
- Video reviews
- Law firm overviews
- Answering FAQs
Your website is the foundation upon which your digital marketing efforts will be built upon. From SEO to PPC to video marketing, all your marketing efforts will revolve around driving more targeted traffic to your website. Make sure your website is optimized to rank higher in your search engine results pages (SERPs). Your family law firm should take on-page optimization steps, including:
- Researching and adding the most relevant keywords. These are words and phrases your target audience uses to find your family law practice.
- Optimizing metadata, landing pages, and URLs with the keywords.
- Creating flawless navigation systems that enhance the user experience.
- Optimizing with local keywords to help people find your practice near them.
A well-optimized website will mean that your visitors can find the required information easily and quickly. It is also important to design or re-design your website to be mobile-friendly. Besides, page load speeds also matter.
The requirements for Family Law Marketing are different from those for promoting other types of practices. If you have a practice, you must focus all your time and effort on your core business and let the experts promote your practice and drive new leads. If you want to discuss your marketing goals with us, call JustLegal Marketing today at 843.619.0229. You may also write to us using this Online Form.